- Position Type: Technical/craft
- Job Type: Full-time/school year (8-month position, approx. April 1-Nov. 30 each year)
- Organization: Athletics
- Department: Athletics facility
- Building: Carver Hawkeye Arena (CHA)
- Contract work location/area: Athletics
- Salary: $2,758/month, $24,820/year
- Pay grade: 08
- Schedule: 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Monday-Friday
- May work night/weekend hours depending on weather conditions
- Read the job description on the UI website
Special Qualifications (read definitions)
- Functional supervision
- 3-OT applicator’s license
- Drivers License (plus ability to meet UI Fleet Safety Driving Record Review Standards)
- Prefer a year of experience as a successful head gardener or similar position within a commercial or educational setting.
- Prefer degree in horticulture or related field.
- Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
- Design annual flower beds.
- Estimate and acquire annuals, plant and provide care for entire season.
- Design, plant and care for three-season planters.
- Provide care for on-site tree nursery.
- Trim/prune small trees.
- Mulch landscape beds.
- Apply plant protectants as required.
- Select, procure and plant bulbs.
- Coordinate floral displays for special departmental functions.
- Train and supervise helpers to assist with performance of duties.
- Assist in budget preparation for assigned areas.
- Assist with snow removal when necessary.
Minimum eligibility requirements
- Two years of experience operating the machinery and tools used in grounds work or any combination of related experience and education from which comparable knowledge and ability can be acquired which totals two years.
- Must have successfully completed commercial certification tests (30T-Ornamental and Turf) for application of pesticides and be eligible to be certified. May be required to successfully complete other commercial certification tests as required.
- Please read the minimum qualifications before applying for this position.
- Work samples will be administered to determine proficiency for approved special qualifications.
- Before you can apply for a specific opening, you must have an Active Electronic Merit Employment File with UI HR Employment Services. If you have already done so, please log in. If you have not, please read our introductory page. Start the merit application process here.